Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Studying

I am encountering my first bit of real studying since taking the MCAT. The process taking on an academic lifestyle has involved changing the fundamental way in which I think about studying. I remember the many days in which studying was much like a shitty high school job, I did it just to get by without anyone getting upset with me and in hope that at some point I could stop doing it. It's hard for me to now uderstand how that formulated. Is this an American attitude? Why do young kids become indoctrinated with the "school sucks" attitude? Why is learning about animals and the way the world works so much less exciting than who is fucking who on "the real world"?

Of course, no one likes staying in and missing out on other fun activities to hit the books, but material learned during education is truly useful and applicable. It amazes me that everyone makes that classic clame: "this will never be useful in my real life when I am working". How the fuck do you know what you are going to be doing? I hear this claim from seventh graders on up to medical students. Really, noone thinks having a broad knowledge base in many different areas doesn't make you more insightful, interesting, more able to hold a conversation?

Maybe the studying is getting to me. I'm basically on a 9am-11:30pm schedule of lecture, anatomy lab, clinics, and studying during the week with breaks for lunch, an hour for nap and dinner, and an hour or two of study breaks for random messing around. But I really don't feel as though my life is terrible. Normally I would be watching reruns or some shitty movie I've already scene 10 times on TNT. Which is really more exciting? Just food for thought. With all this being said, I'll be more than happy to endulge in a Friday night full of debauchery, drunkeness and absolutely no medicine. Back to hematopoiesis...

1 comment:

Fizzlemed said...

I understand your confusion with the perception of education around these parts. All of my friends pity me because I spend so much time studying. Although it sucks to miss out on the drinking and such shenanigans, deep down I actually enjoy it. Part of me enjoys the things about which I am learning, and the rest loves the "thrill of the chase", so to speak. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I come up with an original experiment and then research, design, and implement said experiment. Truly, I pity those who drink on Monday afternoons while playing cornhole in their front yards... because it's them who's paying a shit-ton of money for college and getting nothing out of it. Best of luck to you, and thank you for the continued advice/comments/encouragement.