Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Anatomy

In lecture right now on biomechanics...not my thing. Anatomy is a very controversial subject in medical school. Some programs poo poo it, and some have basically eliminated it. The thought is that if you go into a specialty that requires that knowledge, you will learn it then. Can't this be said for practically any medical knowledge?

Anatomy blows at times. Long lab hours, brute force memorization, juicy remains all over, and constant smells. I like to think that my 3 month dedication to it will be worth the trouble. I certainly can't imagine med school without it. I don't know if specific knowledge of the pectineus or plantaris muscles will ever come to play in my career, but if nothing else I will have an appreciation for the physical presence that is all of us.

1 comment:

Fizzlemed said...

I was wandering the halls of the science building yesterday, and I passed a new poster on one of the research lab doors. It made me think of you:

Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beauty in the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy and to the profit of the community to which your later work belongs.- Einstein

Best of luck in anat.