Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Home

I am making my last stand. My last stand just happens to be letting my parents stuff me with food. I collapse into the same rut every time I come home. There's nothing I want to do at home and my parents aquire some sort of anxiety about not doing something every second that I am here. Something usually ends up being eating. I am helpless to resist. So I will be taking an extra ten pounds to school with me...just the impression I want to make on classmates and faculty.

I am certainly one of those people who loves family from afar. I miss them and wish I could play a bigger role in the lives of my family, but when I am actually around them I become frustrated. My convictions and ways of thinking are foreign to my family. I find myself going into a mental coma when I am around my family for too long. This is of no fault to them, I am just so different. I find myself chewing fucking ice or sleeping a lot. My family will always have a divergent effect from anything else in my life.

The coming reality of med school still seems far away. I am at the edge of the cliff, but I can't see it. I'm not worried, stressed or even excited. I've just accepted it as a reality that hasn't come to pass. Maybe this will change when I get on campus. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, but that isn't what I am doing med school for. Maybe I am just in a circle of denial that all of the effort and worry in getting here is over. Maybe I'm just a fucking douche. I just don't feel as though my life is about to change, even though I know it is. I've never been one for epiphanies, though. I need some inspiration, somehow I think the people who I will soon be around will provide plenty.

1 comment:

Fizzlemed said...

ebuff, SERIOUSLY. I feel ya. My sis just called off her wedding, and Ma and Pa talked me into driving 3 hours to see them for 3 of my 5 very rare days off. When I go home for even a night, I catch myself speaking differently. I pick up a slight drawl, though not Southern. I pronounce things differently (I say taco BELL instead of TACO bell and bestBUY instead of BESTbuy). I sleep in, accomplish nothing, inevitably eat out (and eat mom's amazing ham rolls) thereby gaining several pounds, and feel like a useless moron by the end. Then I get to drive 3 hours back, reminiscing about how I just wasted several days of my life. I have the feeling my family has a completely illogical idea of how I spend my time, what I'm studying, and even what my goals are. You are not alone here. Here is my outlook on how I will fit in in med school: I will finally be surrounded by people who get it. People who understand how valuable my time is and the stresses placed upon me. :) good luck in your moving, med school, and home-going.