Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Social Misfit



Fading in and out of sleep, I found a topic on MTV that I can't resist. The show is titled True Life: I live another life on the web. Nothing could be more fascinating. Our world contains the most educated, wealthy societies in the history of humanity and there is a significant portion of our population that doesn't see any reason to socialize with actually people. Amazing! I am guilty of participating in the system of isolation that has come into place for many. Often times I come home from work, shut my room door, and let the machines entertain me for hours on end. Over the course of a long winter my body becomes a pale, floppy product of modern evolution-the aftermath of long lab hours and media dependence.

I am exaggerating, of course. I manage to go out with friends and even catch some sun on the weekends. But there are so many who do not. Everytime I see a 25 year old who lives at home, can't hold a conversation, and is scared of their own shadow I want to light myself on fire. Educational systems need to adapt to technology. Technology is a tool, not a crutch. Your level 400 ogre dark priest is not cool. Games, IM, blogging can be partnered with educatation, working out, a job, going out late with friends, and occasionally even getting layed. There is a balance, no one thing should dominate. Sorry to get preachy. Back to being alone with the machines...

No comments: