Thursday, September 4, 2008

First week of real class


I am finishing up my first week tomorrow. Though the week hasn't been overly difficult or intimidating, my first dissection looms tomorrow. We were able to view our cadaver briefly a couple of days ago. The sight of the hands and the tattoos on our cadaver made me feel uneasy. I think the first cut will be difficult. Once entering the cavity, I think it easier to think of the dissection as simply a tool. Of course, I am not speaking from experience yet.

The coursework has been great thus far. After years of taking classes, I feel as though I am finally taking the courses I want at the level I want them. Get back to me in a month or so when I am barely treading water and wanting the tidal wave of info to stop. Some of the more interesting factoids I have learned thus far include the fact that Prostate Specific Antigen testing and Digital Rectal examines aren't as good for finding cancer as I had believed. Also, the immune system is crazy. I guess if I'm worried about any courses it's immunology and anatomy.

Otherwise, things are going well. Still adjusting to the med student life. It is a little bit odd coming back after a couple of years. I don't feel like as much of an individual right now, more a cow being hearded in different directions. The options of things to do are endless, now I just need to find the time and motivation for them. Too bad I am so shitty at setting priorities sometimes. That's all I feel like writing right now, though there is much more on my mind. My next post may be political, just a warning.

1 comment:

Fizzlemed said...

Priorities. Remember the days when sleep was one of those? Me either. I'm glad to hear you survived the first week, and I hope you're still hanging in there. I'll never forget the first time I saw a cadaver: we had a 22yo cancer victim, and she was green inside. I'd better get back to studying.
Best,
Fizzle